Table of Contents Hide
- What we recommend
- What is a cordless water flosser?
- What to look for in a cordless water flosser?
- 5 Best Cordless Water Flossers to Buy
- Water flosser vs string floss
- Advantages of water flosser
- Advantages of string floss
- Tips to remember before using water flosser
- How to use a water flosser
What we recommend
Best overall: Waterpik Cordless Advanced Water FlosserWP-560
Best for travel: Panasonic EW-DJ10
Best design: Burst Water Flosser
Best budget: H2ofloss Cordless Water Flosser (HF-2)
Best battery-operated: Waterpik Cordless Express
We know flossing is an important part of dental hygiene, but how many of us floss regularly and make it a routine. It is clear that besides brushing teeth, flossing is another oral care practice we should do.
Traditionally, you can grab a thread floss and remove the food leftovers from between your teeth, which is good and recommended daily. But for some, it may be tedious or even painful since they can’t get the techniques right. Therefore, you can consider a cordless water flosser to compliment your flossing habit.
Best Cordless Water Flosser is especially of great benefit for when manual dexterity is an issue or when you have crown, implant, or wearing an orthodontic appliance like braces. Along with your toothbrushing with fluoride toothpaste, using water flosser can help more plaque removal. Also, it improves your gum health with the risks of gum diseases reduced.
Water flossers are effective, convenient, and a quick way to floss your teeth. You shouldn’t skip flossing by any means. Cordless water flosser is yet another oral care product that we like to keep our dental health improved with just like the electric toothbrush.
What is a cordless water flosser?
Water flossers, or oral irrigators, help clean the teeth by spraying steady stream of water. After filling the reservoir with water, put the tip (nozzle) on interdental spaces between your teeth and above on the gumline. Then turn on the device and it does the cleaning.
Cordless water flosser is a rechargeable and handheld device that is portable and compact. You don’t need a power outlet right next to your sink and it takes much less space which makes it suitable when you are on the go and traveling.
Countertop water flossers are larger-sized types that need to be plugged in while you want to work with them.
What to look for in a cordless water flosser?
There are several factors to keep in mind before buying your cordless water flosser. You can ensure that you get the most out of your purchase when you consider features like:
- Power source and battery life.
Some cordless water flossers have a built-in rechargeable battery while other models are powered by replaceable batteries. Try to notice that and also the battery life of each.
If you are looking for an oral irrigator that take much water and has a larger water reservoir, opts for one that suits you. Having a larger water tank can mean a longer time peruse and will decrease the number of times you refill the appliance to clean all the hard-to-reach areas of your teeth.
- Pressure mode/adjustments.
You can customize the flossing experience even more with different pressure settings or the rhythm of water pulses or bursts. You might like cleaner teeth and the ability to remove tough, sticky food debris by adjusting the flosser to higher pressure modes. Or, you can change to lower pressure mode in case of sensitive teeth or sensitive gums. Depending on the models, there may be about 2 or even 5 different modes, like gum massaging feature, which can be soothing.
There are water flossers like Waterpik and Philips brands which have the American Dental Association (ADA) Seal of Acceptance. You can then be ensured about the safety and effectiveness of these models. But there are others that may lack ADA label yet have high-quality customer service.
- 360-degree rotating nozzle.
Water flossers have transformed our interdental cleaning. There are even greater benefits in 360-degree rotation tips that give flossing techniques to be far from any difficulties.
- Gripping design.
The cordless models should offer appropriate handle designs with better quality materials. By that, you can grip the device comfortably in your hand during work and prevent slippage when it gets wet.
Always consider that the product you buy is under warranty, typically 2 or 3 years. The water flosser might be defective or fail as it can happen especially for an electrical device. Regarding the above features, we chose the list of best cordless water flossers on the market also by taking into account more issues like:
- Online customer reviews. We checked the different online retailers like Amazon and official websites to get down to the most relatable and trustable reviews.
- Key features. We explored the most noticeable factors that make each model popular or stand out among the rival models.
- The price. There may be relatively expensive brands but there are choices of more affordable cordless water flossers to fit your financial needs.
5 Best Cordless Water Flossers to Buy
1-Waterpik Cordless Advanced Water FlosserWP-560 Best Overall
No surprise that the Waterpik cordless advanced comes on top as it has all the features you need from a cordless water flosser. The brand is a high-ranking one with hundreds of positive reviews across multiple online networks and shops.
It has the American Dental Association Seal of Acceptance (ADA), making it an effective and clinically proven product.
The cordless advanced is an ideal flosser of the Waterpik, which is a well-known leading brand. It is a compact and travel-friendly flosser with excellent design to hold and grip. It is waterproof, so no worries if you take it into the shower.
The Waterpik Cordless Advanced, like other Waterpiks, is perfect for braces, implants or any other dental restoration or appliances in your mouth.
The best of all, the product has some key features like:
- 4 flossing tips with different color options (2 high-pressure jet tips and 2 of them are designed for orthodontics and plaque)
- 3 pressure settings to adjust with low, medium and high
- Rechargeable built-in battery with magnetic charging stand
- Rapid 4-hour recharging which can last up to a week
- 45-second reservoir capacity
- Waterproof design
- A travel bag and travel plug
- 2-year warranty
Best Water Flosser for Travel
If you are looking for a water flosser for your travel, Panasonic EW-DJ10 is specifically designed for this purpose. There is no charger and instead it is powered by replaceable batteries. It is collapsible so that it can be packed easily and make the size smaller, but it doesn’t have a travel pouch for storage.
This water flosser has smaller reservoir, taking 5.5 once water (165ml) compared to 7.7 water tank by the Waterpik Cordlless advanced. But you can benefit the lightweight and foldable design, a clever product by this classic Japanese firm.
Use the slider on the handle to change between the lower speed soft mode or higher speed normal mode. Enjoy healthier gums and teeth and prevent food leftovers from staying on your teeth with this water flosser.
- The purchase comes with only one nozzle
- 2 modes, one ‘soft’ and one higher speed ‘normal’
- Powered by replaceable 2×AA batteries
- 40-second usage per full tank but can take a few more seconds depending on the mode you use
- Waterproof design
- Lighter weight
- No travel bag
- One-year warranty
3-Burst Water Flosser
View on the Burst website
Burst offers one of the most stylish flossers found in the market. It appeals to everyone who is looking for a much modern look from an oral irrigator.
The diamond-shaped design of the upper part of this water flosser provides a comfortable in-hand grip. On the handle, there is the Burst’ smiley face for the power button and four icons for the various modes and the battery status.
There are four colors to choose with the exceptional Rose Gold and lavender along with black and white colors.
You will have different nozzle tips available each for one purpose. The Classic tip comes with your purchase and is made for daily usage, and the other two (Perio and Orhto) tips are sold separately.
The Perio tip, as the name suggest for periodontal health, is designed for those with sensitivity issues and as gum massaging tip. It also allows you to reach the crevices and hard-to-reach gum line areas. And the Orhto tip will serve you well with braces and dental work cleanings.
One criticism can be the small water reservoir capacity, which only takes 110 ml.
- 3 different tips included (Classic, Perio and Orhto tips)
- 3 pressure modes
- Excellent battery life (claimed to last 80 days)
- Built-in rechargeable battery
- 6-hour recharging time with the provided USB cable
- Smaller water reservoir
- Travel pouch included
- Lifetime warranty if you subscribe for nozzle deliveries. Otherwise, Burst offers 2-year warranty in case of no subscription.
4-H2ofloss Cordless Water Flosser (HF-2)
Looking for an affordable water flosser, you sure can’t deny H2ofloss Water Flosser (HF-2). It is one of the best-priced water flossers on the market to help prevent plaque buildups and rinse out food particle from the difficult-to-reach zones of your teeth.
The product has tons of features and is valuable for the money. It has 5 pressure settings starting from lower pressure range to much powerful force to customize the intensity you need.
This water flosser is versatile and comes with 5 tips. Some of the nozzles are multifunctional for braces and plaque while the remaining extra tips can be used by other family members.
The flosser has lithium battery built in and is charged by USB cable, making the recharging a convenient job to use on available USB ports.
Thanks to the gravity ball at the end of tube, the water completely drains to your flossing work regardless of the flossing direction.
- 5 multi-functional tips
- 5 pressure settings/modes
- Rechargeable built-in battery
- 5-hour recharging which can last between 15 to 30 days
- Waterproof design
- Includes storage bag and nozzle box
- One-year warranty
5-Waterpik Cordless Express
Best Battery-Operated Water Flosser
If you are committed to the Waterpik brand and looking for a cheaper option, consider Waterpik Cordless Express. With lower than $ 40, you still have the advantage of getting an ADA-approved product. It is a compact and space-saving option also suitable for your travel needs.
This great-performing product comes in both black and white colors and is a popular Waterpik model which has a simpler and basic options. It has two pressure modes, two tips and uses three AA batteries.
It has a smaller water tank with just 5 ounces (148ml) and therefore 30 seconds to use each time filled. Compare it with Waterpik Advanced with 207ml capacity.
- 2 tips
- 2 pressure modes
- Powered by 3 replaceable AA batteries
- 30-second reservoir capacity
- One-year warranty
Water flosser vs string floss
Both string floss and water flosser make good combinations for elimination of plaque. But this is all achieved when you brush your teeth daily too.
Water flosser uses the jet of water through different modes to remove plaque and food residue from between your teeth. It is a novel way of cleaning teeth and gums, and it provides a couple of advantages over the string floss.
With the jet tips and 360-degree rotatable nozzle, you will have the benefits of cleaning all the hard-to-reach parts of your teeth, like molar teeth, upper and lower interdental gaps, and gum line. Both water flosser and string floss have their own advantages.
Advantages of water flosser
- Efficient plaque removal. It has the potential to disrupt more plaque buildups between your teeth and clean the gum line where string floss cannot reach.
- Water flossers are quicker and much more convenient to use.
- Give a pain-free flossing experience and there are no more gum pains and irritations.
- Enhances gum health along with your dental health.
- Suitable for people who have braces, aligners, bridges, dentures, crowns, and implant restorations.
- It is an alternative to string floss for individuals with limitations in using hands correctly or with manual dexterity issues.
Advantages of string floss
- Traditional floss has been an effective plaque removal method as well especially when used daily and with correct technique.
- It allows for more techniques to use the thread in any movements manually to clean between the teeth.
- It is cost-effective and far cheaper.
Tips to remember before using water flosser
- Try to use a water flosser daily and make it a routine.
- Follow the correct techniques in how to get cleaner teeth and mouth.
- Brush your teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste for two minutes.
- Using a water flosser can be messy, so use it over a sink to flush out excess water frequently.
- Before using your device, check whether you can use the mouthwash in the reservoir. Not all brands offer that.
How to use a water flosser
- Start by filling the reservoir with water.
- If waterproof, you can use it in the shower unless getting access to the sink.
- For first-time use, try to test the pressure of the water jet to see how it works.
- Put the nozzle (tip) in your mouth and make sure the tip is pointing to your gum line.
- Turn on the device and choose the mode you want.
- Move the tip between each tooth and the gum line slowly.
- Keep your mouth closed enough to prevent splash but you should let the excess water flow out of your mouth.
- Rinse your mouth to get rid of loosened food and plaque.