Table of Contents Hide
- Why do we need a pediatric dentist?
- What are the common objectives of pediatric dentistry?
- What are the benefits of visiting pediatric dentists?
- Pediatric dentists’ office space
- They are in touch with pediatricians
- Pediatric dentists know how to make a good dentist-patient relationship
- Instruments used in pediatric dentist’s office
- Understanding different stages of child development
- They have the ability to manage children with certain conditions
There are around 9 dentistry specialties and each provides particular services and treatments. One of them is pediatric dentistry which is dedicated to the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and issues related to children’s dental and oral health from early ages to adolescence.
Pediatric dentistry, apart from dental-related issues, deals with the psychology and different behaviors of children.
Why do we need a pediatric dentist?
For each problem that arises, there should be a different specialist to address that. Therefore, we can be reassured that everything is going to be under control and will not be overlooked.
Pediatric dentistry demands a different view than adult dentistry. As children are in the growing stages, their behavioral and physical changes need to be examined by a special field in medicine.
What are the common objectives of pediatric dentistry?
As pediatric dentists have a comprehensive view of the visitors (infants, young children, adolescents, and young adults to age 20) and they deal with issues related to oral and dental health, they can process every dentistry problems that occur.
This means a lot of objectives they can accomplish for children. We mention the most important ones as:
- Oral and dental check-ups
- Initial evaluation for detecting tooth decay
- Taking preventive measurements including tooth scaling or cleaning, and fluoride therapy. These therapeutic treatments can be done once a year.
- Reconstructing oral cavities
- Application of pit and fissure sealant to prevent tooth decay
- Teach parents the basics of oral hygiene
- Instruct parents, schools, kindergartens, and other institutions with booklets, brochures, and useful tips to monitor the oral hygiene
- Giving consultation to parents to manage their children’s problems like thumb sucking, mouth breathing, bad habits in swallowing, and dietary habits.
- Prescription of palatal and other protective oral devices
- Bite analysis for further orthodontic problems in children
- Diagnosis and treatment of gum diseases, periodontal defects, and other oral and dental problems that may coexist with diseases like diabetes, asthma, ADHD, and hay fever.
- Taking care of dental caries (broken, chipped, and cracked teeth)
- Evaluation of maxillary and mandibular deformities
- Using restorative techniques like filling with different materials, teeth crown, and so on
What are the benefits of visiting pediatric dentists?
Although you can take your child to any general dentist, visiting a pediatric dentist can make a difference. Their special knowledge related to all aspects of children to the ages of 18 or 20 can result in beneficial and much more conservative management in treatments.
Pediatric dentists’ office space
Children usually have a fear of going into clinical offices. By seeing strange instruments and even the waiting rooms’ designs, this fear may impact their first impression. The pediatric dentist’s office, therefore, is designed in kid-friendly spaces to offer a comfortable atmosphere for children.
They are in touch with pediatricians
Pediatric dentists are usually in regular communication with pediatric clinics and hospitals to refer young patients to various specialists in case of emergency problems.
Pediatric dentists know how to make a good dentist-patient relationship
Pediatric dentists understand the psychological behaviors of children and their age-appropriate demands, needs, and satisfactions. They can bridge the gap to have warm and friendly communication.
Instruments used in pediatric dentist’s office
The cute, delicate design of dentistry instruments in pediatric offices can decrease the fear that children may encounter during the procedures. For this reason, you shouldn’t be worried about any damage by the instruments.
Understanding different stages of child development
Pediatric dentists understand child development during different stages of physical, behavioral, and emotional changes. They are well prepared for different scenarios, like orthodontic treatments and other aesthetic dentistry factors.
They have the ability to manage children with certain conditions
When we say that pediatric dentists deal with different issues in children from infancy to adolescence, we mean all children with all their specific characteristics. There are sometimes children with physical or mental disabilities who have their own particular needs. Thus, it is of prime importance to seek pediatric dentists ‘advice on how to take care of our lovely children.