Table of Contents Hide
Are you looking for the best toothpaste for sensitive teeth? With so many products to buy, finding the right toothpaste to desensitize sensitivity is confusing. We have gathered a list of the best toothpaste to treat your tooth sensitivity and soothe your gum irritations. Also, there is more to know in this article like the causes of tooth sensitivity, the characteristics the best sensitive toothpaste should have, and how toothpaste actually works in eliminating sensitivity in teeth.
What causes tooth sensitivity?
It is frustrating that you feel a twinge or a sharp temporary pain in your teeth while having a hot or cold drink and when you bite down on foods. Before diving into the causes of tooth sensitivity, it is good to know about the tooth structure. Teeth consist of three hard tissues and the inner soft part, called pulp:
- Enamel: It is the hardest outer layer or protective layer of the tooth covering the crown, the upper part of the tooth.
- Cementum: It is a thin bony layer covering the root. If the gum has receded, cementum is visible in the gum line.
- Dentine: The inner layer of teeth which makes up the bulk of tooth structure.
- Pulp: The inner soft part of the tooth including veins, nerves, and connective tissues. The dental pulp is responsible for transmitting senses and thermal changes.
When enamel or cementum erodes or wears away, they leave the dentine underneath exposed to temperature changes or bacterial activity in the mouth. This, in turn, increases the chance of teeth sensitivity through the dental pulp. The affected pulp will respond to any cold or hot changes from your drinking or eating, from acids produced by plaque, beverages, or fruits, and finally from pressure on your teeth. The causes of tooth sensitivity can be due to many factors like:
- Tooth decay
- Damaged and cracked tooth
- Accumulation of plaque and tartar on teeth and longtime neglect of oral hygiene practices
- Receding gums
- Aggressive brushing or using inappropriate hard-bristled toothbrushes
- High sugar intake and high consumption of acidic beverages, fruits, and foods that cause dental erosion
- Grinding teeth or bruxism habits
- The damaged and infected dental pulp
How to stop sensitive tooth pain?
The simplest and the most effective remedy is using desensitizing toothpaste. Finding the right toothpaste for sensitive teeth is a great way to help relieve tooth sensitivity symptoms. What desensitizing toothpastes do is help block pain sensations from dental nerves.
Using toothpaste is the most cost-effective and the most common way that you can try to alleviate your pain and discomfort. Toothpaste normally contains fluoride that helps strengthen tooth enamel and fight decay.
Teeth sensitivity is mostly temporary and can be eliminated with desensitizing toothpaste. As a preventive strategy, though, you’d better manage your eating and drinking while keeping an eye on your oral health to stop what triggers the painful sensation in your teeth.
If sensitivity seems to be severe and non-stop and persists for longer than you think, the symptoms may tell of an underlying dental condition. You should visit a dentist to have your teeth checked. Your dentist will determine whether the damaged or infected pulp is the cause. Therefore, you will be in need of a root canal treatment or dental restoration.
Do toothpastes for sensitive teeth work?
No matter what causes tooth sensitivity, brushing your teeth twice daily is the first but not least rule that you should follow. This is what American Dental Association (ADA) puts forward besides other oral hygiene tasks for a healthy mouth and teeth. What toothpastes do to decrease or eliminate sensitivity is simple and is proven scientifically. Typically, toothpaste contains fluoride to strengthen enamel and help rebuild minerals in enamel, which contributes to decreasing sensitivity. There are other ingredients like potassium nitrate found in desensitizing toothpaste that directly impacts dental nerves and controls tooth sensitivity.
6 best toothpastes for sensitive teeth
Based on our research, we have rounded up the best and the most popular toothpaste for sensitive teeth and gums regarding dentists’ recommendations, user reviews, and other necessary factors like the type of ingredients. Here is the list:
- Colgate Sensitive Complete Protection Toothpaste
Best Overall Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
Colgate is a leading brand in oral care products. Colgate Sensitive Complete Protection comes as top pick toothpaste that has everything you need for teeth sensitivity issues. This widely used toothpaste is formulated with two key active ingredients to treat your sensitivity:
- 5% potassium nitrate: An anti-sensitivity FDA-allowed ingredient which is a key agent in relieving tooth sensitivity pain and discomfort
- 24% sodium fluoride: This important ingredient serves as both cavity protection and desensitizing agent which strengthens tooth enamel, fights tooth decay, and eliminates plaque and tartar on teeth.
This best-to-go toothpaste is designed for sensitive teeth while enhancing teeth and gum health dramatically. With regular twice-daily brushing, you can benefit from 27/7 sensitivity protection.
Cost: available at $8.96 on Walmart
- Sensodyne Rapid Relief Mint Toothpaste
Best Toothpaste for Sensitivity and Fast Relief
Sensodyne toothpastes are the best-selling toothpaste brand for sensitive teeth in the US. The Sensodyne Rapid Relief series offer a unique faster relief for treating sensitivity in teeth, as the name of the brand is called, and claims to relieve sensitivity in as little as three days.
So, if you want to quickly get rid of teeth sensitivity, Sensodyne is the way to go. The product does a good job of fighting both sensitivity and cavities using the active stannous fluoride ingredient. In addition, this toothpaste is flavored with mint to freshen up your breath.
It is also available in two different types for other preferences:
- Sensodyne Rapid Relief Extra Fresh Toothpaste: It is a great option if you are looking for tastier toothpaste with highly freshening capabilities for your mouth.
Cost: available at $6.42 on Walmart
- Sensodyne Rapid Relief Whitening Toothpaste: This product by Sensodyne has two major benefits collectively in one toothpaste: whitening and anti-sensitivity properties. Designed to relieve tooth sensitivity, this toothpaste removes stains and whitens teeth, offering whiter and brighter teeth.
Cost: available at $11.44 on Walmart
Sensodyne Rapid Relief is a dentist-recommenced and fan-loving brand that stands on top as toothpaste for sensitive teeth with the fastest results. Just brush your teeth twice a day with this toothpaste and see the comfortable and soothing feelings pop into your mouth.
Cost: available at $6.42 on Walmart
- hismile NHpro Enamel Care toothpaste
Best Desensitizing Toothpaste for Weak Enamel
The hismile brand is associated with its unique PAP teeth whitening formula that is used in products such as hismile PAP+ Whitening Toothpaste™ and hismile PAP+ Whitening Strips™.
Their NHpro Enamel Care is formulated with three key ingredients:
- Nano-hydroxyapatite (nHAp): The nano-hydroxyapatite in hismile NHpro is the golden ingredient that mimics the composition structure of enamel and dentine in teeth to protect and rebuild the deficiencies in enamel and dentine. This clinically proven ingredient is used to treat hypersensitivity in teeth and helps mineralize the tooth enamel. It protects the tooth surface and makes the mineralization process occur by creating an apatite layer on the dentine and filling the dentinal tubules while repairing the enamel.
- Theobromine: It is a natural ingredient derived from the cocoa extract. Instead of fluoride, theobromine is added to strengthen teeth and provide the essential minerals that are necessary for damaged enamel on teeth. Plus, the ingredient is said to decrease tooth sensitivity.
- Xylitol: It is a non-sugar sweetener with major health benefits. Not only does Xylitol bathe teeth and prevent stain formation, but it has anticaries properties and helps teeth stay safe against plaque accumulation. It fights cavities and works as a calcium provider, which is necessary for the teeth remineralization process.
Powered by this mixture of magical ingredients, hismile NHpro is an excellent option to relieve you of painful teeth sensitivity while rebuilding your weakened enamel. Follow the once daily night-time brushing to ensure that the toothpaste provides the best results and offers dramatic effects.
Cost: $39 on hismile
- Crest Sensitivity Whitening Plus Scope Toothpaste
Best Budget Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
When it comes to oral care products, Crest is a classic brand that offers a wide range of toothpastes and other oral health items that meet different needs.
Made to stop teeth sensitivity pain immediately, Crest Sensitivity Whitening + Scope presents both efficiency in curbing sensitivity and leaving a fresh minty taste. You will have a much soothing freshness while brushing with this toothpaste thanks to Crest’s Scope long-lasting technology. It is designed to provide highly strong relief caused by irritants such as drinking or eating hot and cold foods or beverages.
Keep in mind that the formula used by Crest consists of sodium fluoride and potassium nitrate, which can be found in other brands like Colgate and Sensodyne. The FDA-approved maximum dosage of these two active ingredients targets sensitivity in teeth with all its powerful effects and promotes dental and oral health greatly.
Cost: available at $8.99 on Amazon
- If you are looking for natural toothpastes for teeth sensitivity, here are the top toothpastes with naturally derived ingredients:
Tom’s of Maine Fluoride-Free Rapid Relief Sensitive Toothpaste
Best Non-Fluoride Toothpaste for Sensitive Toothpaste
If you are seeking fluoride-free toothpaste to treat your teeth sensitivity, Tom’s of Maine Rapid Relief Sensitive is a great pick. This toothpaste uses two naturally sourced ingredients, arginine and calcium carbonate, to beat sensitivity. It helps decrease dental nerve sensitivity and therefore stops your pain and discomfort. As the company claims, the relief from sensitivity can be resulted in as little as 60 seconds.
It is vegan and there is no trace of artificial flavors, dyes, and preservative ingredients. For faster desensitizing effects, apply the toothpaste to your teeth directly and massage lightly for 1 minute with your finger.
Enjoy the fresh mint flavor while keeping your teeth away from any irritations and sensitivity.
- Boka Nano (N-Ha) Toothpaste 2 pack (Ela Mint and Ginger Coco)
Best Bundle Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth
Here is another fluoride-free toothpaste to choose. Boka’s toothpastes are backed by nano-hydroxyapatite (n-Ha) as a substitute for fluoride for anti-sensitivity and remineralizing purposes. This gold ingredient, which partly makes up teeth structure, is combined with other natural-based ingredients to strengthen teeth, prevent cavities, fight sensitivity, and enhance oral and dental health.
Additionally, Boka’s toothpastes are SLS-free, Paraben-free, and free of any artificial colors and flavors. The toothpastes are not only made to fight sensitivity but are also considered antiplaque toothpastes.
In the list of ingredients, you can find potassium nitrate, which acts as a desensitizing agent for blocking dental nerve transmissions of pain. There are a plethora of natural minerals, essential oils, and plant-derived extracts which make Boka among the most-loved natural brands. The pack comes with 2 toothpastes with different flavors.
Boka Ela Mint Toothpaste: This mint-flavored toothpaste contains xylitol, an antibacterial that ensures cavity prevention, and a large number of other natural oils and plant extracts including spearmint oil, peppermint oil, star anise oil, wintergreen oil, aloe vera, and several other plant and fruit extracts like green tea, cucumber, and avocado.
Boka Coco Ginger Toothpaste: This Boka toothpaste is flavored with coconut along with ginger and chamomile flower in a unique harmony, making it a distinctive toothpaste for its soothing taste and flavors in the market.
Cost: $22 on Amazon. You can buy each tube separately at $11or $12